TL;DR Read More
1. Shot two child seat commercials in one day.
2. White cyc + furniture had to appear seamless.
3. Black & Grey fabric materials eat light.
3. Commercials would not go through color correction prior to delivery.
In this fast paced world we live in, time is the ultimate commodity. Each one of these will begin with a TL;DR: Too Long Didn't Read. If the TL;DR interests you, you have a whole blog to read. If not, that's okay too.
TL;DR: Read More
1. Shot on a real football field, couldn't use the field lights.
2. Only had 4 hours to shoot the entire spot.
3. Had to use mismatched cameras and slow L glass.
4. Two out of the five lights I ordered didn't work on shoot day.
5. Couldn't move lights once placed.
Today we're going to look at some pickup shots that we shot very quickly with our actress from the kitchen scene. She was available a few days after the house shoot and was so generous with providing her own wardrobe and makeup. We needed her to play a high school student on her way back from class. Read More
Time is ticking and we still had to do our kitchen scene. We've got an island in the middle of the room with and space around it to place lights. If we shoot on the right side of the kitchen, we'll lose a lot of the details that make the room look so good. If we go onto the left side, all we'll see is the refrigerator and some cabinets. So the best option is to shoot off to the side of the room, tucking the camera into a small doorway that allows us to see the stove top, cooking utensils, sink, etc. This angle also gives us some depth by seeing the living room in the background. Read More
In the last installment of this series we looked at how we turned a house bar into a coffee bar. This time we're going to deconstruct a living room scene with a teenager using the app on a couch. Read More
In part I of this series I talked about setting up the outdoor scene that was supposed to look like a sunny day while mother nature was doing her best to ruin my shots. With the outdoor scene completed we moved inside and did our best to stage the homeowner's bar area to double as a coffee shop. Read More
In this multi-part series I'm going to try something; I'm going to break down some shots from a commercial I shot recently and talk about the limitations we faced. I'll break down a scene per week and show you what I was able to do under the time, weather, and budget constraints that we all seem to face on every job. Read More
I've been using the Sony a7s a lot recently and I'm pretty happy with the images I've been able to get out of that little camera. One nagging thing about it, more specifically, the XAVCs codec is the problem with getting an edited sequence into resolve. It's a pain in the ass really. I've gotten errors where the audio tracks won't play, or even worse, Resolve cannot link the footage with an XML exported from Premiere Pro. I get an error that says it can't link the media because there's no reel name and timecode. So as great as the internal codec of the sony is, there seems to be some difficulty retaining enough information within it to getan edited sequence to play nicely with Resolve. But fear not.
Here's a work-around I've found that seems to be a solution until the good people at blackmagicdesign can get an update out so that Resolve plays nicely with xml's. Read More
I mentioned that I was given an Ursa to test out two weeks ago. My job was to stress the camera to see where the image breaks so that the studio heads knew it's limitations should they decide to invest in three of these cameras. Again, this isn't a scientific test. Read More
THIS IS NOT A BLACKMAGIC URSA REVIEW.
I had a chance to shoot with the Blackmagic Ursa this week. I was tasked with testing the camera to find it's strengths and weaknesses by putting it into the situations I normally shoot and grade. So along the Sony A7s grade test I posted earlier, I also compared the Ursa to the A7s in a typical interview situation. Read More
I had the opportunity at the studio today to test a BlackMagic Design URSA. The original idea was to put the URSA through a series of tests to see how and when the image would break during a lighting test of the over and under exposure. These tests take a long time though, more time than I had today which is a bummer. What I did do was briefly test it against the Sony A7s. I shot a wide, a MCU, and CU of a guy I work with in a simple lighting set up. I wanted to see if they would match, or if I could even get remotely close in the grade. Read More